Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Angelfish


Oh how this still applies!


July 17, 2000

I saw the sun setting on a cluster of mangroves. They turned burning orange, illuminating the turquoise waters surrounding them. And the angel fish rose out of the water, ascending toward the heavens, their iridescent purples and greens blinding me just as love had once done. I fell to my knees then, tears seeping through my closed lids. I was remembering your lips and how softly they touched my cheek. You were a ghost to me even then, your decision made; you leaving me behind. God, and as I think of the setting sun, the mangroves in flames, I can’t help but think of us, extinguished. The sand was rock hard beneath me, everything I saw and felt was unforgiving since you kissed me goodbye. But I no longer wait for your phone call as I finally see the beauty of the angels who rose out of the water that evening, that first day of renewal, that first day of healing.

No comments: